Where Are We Now?
Had to get the Train from Potsdamer Platz
Last Wednesday (Impact day) was one of the most successful days I've had in a long time. I made huge progress on my script. I wrote the one scene I'd been procrastinating due to its content, which hits quite close to home. I called my good friend Calum Gittins (a RADA graduate!), and he stayed on the line for over an hour while I 'um-d and er-d' at my local café, sitting there with my laptop open and a blank document. Calum guessed what was up, and called me on my shit. He told me that this was an important play to write, and that if I was still stuck on where to go with this scene, I should start from the end and write backwards. Which is what I did, and the result is a scene I am so very proud of; Max finally stops blaming herself for Keith's actions, she can finally let go and move on. Although the play is funny in places, it was really important to me to make this scene as honest as possible, as it's a sensitive subject, and needs to reflect that while Max was a victim of sexual assault, it does not define her, and she is so much stronger than she thought. In the end, it is Keith who is without power, who is lesser than Max. And that mental shift, the change of perspective, is what both Max and Keith need in order to move on and change.
On another note, I met up with Sophie Hambleton (whom I worked with on Westside) for coffee, and we had a really good talk about Toi Whakaari and the acting industry in general. She graduated from Toi in 2007, and picking her brain about the school was wonderful, especially as I was selected to be a part of the Acting Associates programme for 2016. Toi Whakaari is a school I will be auditioning for, at the end of this year, and talking to Sophie has really helped by answering some of the questions I have/had, from a person whom I trust.
The other person I've been in contact with a lot lately is play-write Sam Brooks. Brooks is an amazing wealth of knowledge, and has been so, so wonderful to bounce scrip ideas, drafts, et al off of. I won't say too much on my conversation with Brooks for the time being, because we mostly just broke down my script, and now I have to build it back up again. Will also try to upload my script here, fingers crossed it works!
Until then,
Spinach x
No comments:
Post a Comment